How to make garum sauce at home? You can be the star of your dinner with this little-known sauce, one of the ancient flavors of the Mediterranean.
garum is a sauce that has become very popular lately and works wonders when you choose the right place to use it. Actually, it sounds more like the name of a method than a sauce name to me. Because all the dozens of types of fish sauces that were very popular in the old Mediterranean countries during the Middle Ages are called garum. There are those who use grass and those who throw soil.
There are friends who discuss it from many angles, but in my opinion, it is simple to make if you take certain points into consideration and act meticulously. I have listed the places that I consider certain points as I could. I added the video below. By the way, if you are going to make this sauce, you need to take care of it. In other words, you have to be someone like me who looks at you with concern and pursues unnecessary and superfluous things.
ingredients: fish (anchovies) – salt – jar
– First of all, the equipment used must be sterile. The material type may be glass. This is the jar I call a tool.
– our salt may be kosher. There are superstitions that it absorbs more water.
– The type of fish we will use must be fresh anchovies, in fact it must be very fresh. There are other fish used besides anchovies, but the best yield comes from anchovies.
– The point that is not up for debate is the intestines of anchovies. We use it as a whole without cleaning the inside. Those who try to make this sauce by cleaning the inside are making the Italian colatura di alici sauce without realizing it. I learned that there are significant differences in terms of taste. so don’t whine.
– For some, our sauce takes one, three months, for some it takes four months to prepare, but the important thing here is the temperature. The region you are in is very important. In old prescriptions, they already ordered exposure to the sun. I think you should proceed by checking the consistency yourself. You can look at the video below and decide.
– Speaking of temperature, various sources state that the most suitable temperature for fermentation of this sauce is 55-60 degrees. If you are going to put it in the sun, place it accordingly. Now you all have these machines that measure body temperature. The Ekşi Sözlük writer named Farabi said that it measures the degree of egg coagulation and yoghurt fermentation with its surface measuring setting. just use it.
– You need to mix it every day for the first two weeks. This place is very important. If you are not too lazy and mix it 3-4 times a day, it will be great. You should not forget. After the second month, I immersed and mixed the kitchen blender. The result is magnificent, but now come and explain this to the traditionalists. They will make a fuss when they read this.
– If you don’t stir, the bones of the fish will just sit there. tried. It’s important to mix it up.
– At the end of the period, it will turn amber, which I will use many times in a sentence. It will be like ripe rosehip paste. First you pass it through a coarse strainer, then through a fine strainer and finally through cheesecloth. Your sauce is ready.
How to Make Garum Sauce? Video