For many people, Rolex watches are an investment tool rather than an accessory. However, not every Rolex will gain value over time.
Not every Rolex watch gains value over time. dollar inflation etc. Of course, it is effective, but since not every model is limited production, there is no guarantee that all Rolexes you buy will be valuable. At least it will not be valued enough to make a significant profit as an investment tool.
Even if they are limited production, Rolexes must meet certain conditions in order to be valued where they stand. Of course, it’s not just Rolex; The same goes for all other collectible luxury watches.
The conditions required for a limited production Rolex to be valued over time and/or turned into an investment are as follows:
All documents for the 1st hour must be complete. Including invoices and even repair/maintenance documents. In addition to the documents, the wiping cloth, the cold-stamped seal, the watch box, the pouch, the case… whatever comes to your mind, anything and everything that comes with the watch should be kept.
2. If you are going to have your rolex repaired, you should never send it to a 3rd party, but send it to the rolex itself and have it repaired. Repairing is not considered an incredible problem. as long as all repair documents are complete and the repaired parts are taken back. This place is very nice. Let’s say you scratched the glass of the watch and sent it to the service to replace it with a new one. Be sure to ask for the scratched glass back.
3. Models that have never been used, if they were used by a very famous person, of course things change; It has several times more collection value than the used models. Therefore, if you are Mehmet Aga with yellow boots and you are buying a limited production Rolex as an investment, do not even open the box, let it sit.
4. Even if you make a mistake like using it and you are going to change any part of it – such as strap, bezel, glass, dial – you should keep the original in its box. These jobs are not like houses/cars, changing parts are not required. Even if it has been changed or repaired, the old part is definitely sought after. It is important for the clock story.
5. For a watch to be limited edition, a maximum of 2000 units must be produced. Less production means more investment value. Especially if you have a watch with a serial number between 001/100, 001/300 or maybe 001/500 – limited edition watches are given numbers. You know which production watch you have – good luck, you have a watch with a really high auction value. Apart from that, Rolex also has models that are mass produced and printed in tens of thousands. They can neither be bought for auction nor for investment. you like it, you get it; That’s different, but you can’t make money from it. Because citizens buy from the store rather than from you. For example, the barzos who recently bought plastic Swatch watches with omega written on them as an investment and even posted an ad on the yellow site for 30 times more expensive than they bought, are not aware of the situation, but the watch lost 20% of its value the second it left the store. Because it is an unlimited production watch. Moreover, it was a battery-operated, plastic, velcro model and had no collection value.
6. You need to know which model of Rolex you will buy for your investment. For example, this brand has a handsome model called GMT Master. But is the holder case 1675 or 1670, and is the material on the bezel ceramic or aluminum? Are the indicators oval or notch-shaped? What is the lug to lug width? What color does it hold? In which year will its production gain the most value? which which which which… you need to go into all the details. If you don’t buy the right collectible model, you can spend 20,000 dollars on a Rolex and buy it for the DJ. On the other hand, the watch of a person who buys another model for 20,000 dollars may be worth half a million dollars in 20 years, while yours may be worth 40,000. Therefore, we analyze the market, the tendency of collectors, how many people have the watch, etc. You need to know it in great detail.
7. Never, ever, should a quality watch be modified to change its character, appearance, and especially its mechanism. should not be done. I’m not talking about cord replacement or anything like that. Of course, you should do this without even a micron-millimeter scratch… I mean, for example, you shouldn’t go like a boxer Mayweather cattle and put diamonds on watches. You should not have it gold plated. The originality of watches should never be compromised, regardless of whether it is decorative or for any purpose. When you add a diamond decoration worth $500,000 to a rolex worth $50,000, that watch does not become $550,000. It’s not like that. The value of the watch falls instead of rising.