Here is a solution article that suggests things you can implement immediately rather than long-term, abstract or expensive things.
Are you feeling very bad? Are anxious and depressive feelings very intense? Does everything feel out of whack? This article is for you. For all my friends who feel like me.
Friends, I too have struggled with anxiety disorder and depression for years. Some days were incredibly bad. I was struggling in a terrible storm of anxiety. While I was thinking about what could possibly give me some relief during these very bad days, I made small experiments. and I introduced the methods that worked into my life. If you feel very bad and want to breathe a little easier, you can take the first steps to recovery with these small methods. I can tell you this with certainty: I will always offer down-to-earth, realistic and practical solutions and tools instead of empty talk. I like to explain everything about myself. so let’s get started.
What would I do if I felt very bad today?
1) I felt very anxious and depressed today. First, I would take a cold shower or wash my hands, face and feet with cold water.
Why: Because cold water changes our endorphin and neuroadrenaline secretion and makes us feel good.
2) Secondly, I would go to the kitchen and drink 2 large glasses of water.
Why: We all drink too little water. This situation of drinking less water puts our body and brain, which are biological machines, on alert. Is there a water shortage? It assumes that there is a danger and causes us to worry, thinking that we will not be able to reach water for a while.
3) After drinking my water, if there was a loved one at home, such as my spouse, friend, or sibling, I would go to him, chat for a while, and hug him.
Why: The oxytocin hormone is an important element that is secreted when hugged and balances human psychology.
4) Then, before going for a walk, I would put on a comfortable and stylish outfit that would make me feel comfortable.
Why: Because when we mingle in a social area, we become anxious if we are not properly dressed. We feel uncomfortable when people we know see us in those clothes.
5) After the clothes were complete, I would definitely wear my glasses. If I was using a device such as glasses or headphones for hearing, I would not go out without taking it with me. And I would not forget to use it in my daily life.
Why: Our brain, sitting in the management seat of our biological machine, evaluates and controls the body according to the data it receives. It keeps the body alert at all times when you can’t see or hear clearly. Is there a problem coming towards me? Am I in danger? It keeps the body alert at all times in an anxious mode with the thought of it. This should not be allowed.
6) When everything was done, I would go out and stop by the nearest grocery store. I would buy mint gum from the market and start chewing it.
Why: Chewing gum sends signals to our brain and body as if we are eating. Our brain assumes that we are safe by thinking we are eating and relaxes. The smell of mint helps reduce anxiety thanks to its aromatherapeutic properties.
7) I would start walking at a light pace while chewing my gum. If possible, I would turn off my phone’s notifications and internet, and take a walk to distract myself from being glued to the phone screen again.
Why: There are hundreds of studies on walking. Walking is recommended for dozens of diseases you can think of. While walking, different regions in the human brain work and processing thoughts becomes easier. It’s a very long topic to talk about.
8) While I was walking, I would start thinking about my troubles. I would try to find the root causes. I would save the clues I found in my phone’s notepad.
Why: When we write down the thoughts in our head in order, the chaos in our mind begins to calm down a little. For the mind, every thought that cannot be managed and regulated is a cause for anxiety. At least listing the troubles in a few small words leads to relief. It also allows you to think deeply about it and strategize to solve it.
9) I would pay attention to two things while walking. my breathing rhythm and posture. I would help me calm down by slowing down my breathing rhythm. By straightening my posture, I would convey to my brain and body the feeling that I feel safe and strong in the area I am currently in.
Why: Every emotion has a breathing rhythm. We breathe very differently when we are angry; It’s even different when you’re sad. Both anxiety and depressive feelings have their own breathing rhythm. To change this, breathing deeply and consciously helps.
Likewise, all our emotions are reflected in our body involuntarily. When we feel bad, our shoulders slump. As our shoulders slump, we feel worse. It grows and grows in a feedback loop. Straightening our posture, walking like a victorious commander, and even smiling helps us change our emotional state.
10) While walking around, I would stop by a herbalist if there was one around and buy peppermint oil. If possible, I would buy a strong peppermint oil called chinese oil. I would continue walking around smelling this scent throughout the day.
Why: As we mentioned in the chewing gum issue, the smell of mint has a relaxing effect and this effect has been scientifically proven. Every smell in our room, home or office has an impact on our mood, even unconsciously. It is in our interest to correct the odors in the places where we spend the most time, as much as possible.
11) Near the end of my walk, I would stop by a supermarket and buy relax tea, bananas, almonds or pumpkin seeds.
Why: Relax tea is a tea produced from traditionally used plants that relax people. Many brands have similar products. You can use whichever you have access to. It contains ingredients such as passion flower, the effect of which has been proven in many studies. It is much more reasonable to choose it instead of black tea or coffee in this anxious period.
Banana, almond or pumpkin seeds are for magnesium. Magnesium deficiency is a serious cause for concern. I recommend that you use magnesium supplements under medical supervision. Until you see your doctor, you can be sure that consuming magnesium-rich foods such as bananas, almonds or pumpkin seeds daily will be very good for your anxiety.
12) After leaving the market, I would finally stop by a stationery store. I would take a notebook and a pen. I would go home.
Why: We will use the notebook and stationery to make the “brain dump” application that I will talk about in a few tweets. In this way, we will have the opportunity to work in more detail on the problems we have noted on our phone.
13) I would definitely not drink tea, coffee, etc. when I returned home. I would prepare a relax tea. He eats the bananas, almonds or pumpkin seeds I buy. I would calmly start taking notes.
Why: As I mentioned above, consuming these products that will provide relaxation will allow us to relax a little, rather than tea and coffee, which will increase anxiety.
14) I would start doing what foreigners call “brain dump” while drinking my relax tea. I would start writing down all my troubles that came to my mind. Everything that worries me. After writing them all down, I would come up with a road plan to solve these problems.
Why: You can find many YouTube videos about what is called brain dump. In short, the point is to put everything that gives us trouble in our minds on paper. We can write about our troubles, the things that confuse us, and everything we want to do. Writing this way gives us a chance to find a way out and strategize for a solution. This is very important. Because the most important thing that increases our anxiety is that we keep exaggerating a problem in our minds as if it has no solution. So I would write as much as I could. And I would write and think for a long time about how I could solve them all. Writing is one of the most important skills that make a person human. You can research “therapeutic writing” for more.
15) After all this, with the strength of feeling a little relaxed, I would think calmly and take a step to balance my health. This is very important. I would take responsibility for my own life and make an appointment at the hospital. and I would complete my day. All of these steps would help ease a bad day, even just a little. I hope it helps you too.
Friends, please do not hesitate to apply to the hospital for your mental and spiritual health. Of course, you don’t spend your life trying to fend off every bad day. It is possible to live a pleasant life by balancing life.